Town mouse visits Australia House
One hundred years ago this month, shouts of ‘coo-ee’ echoed around the new thoroughfare of London’s Aldwych, as George V laid the foundation stone of Australia House. Thirteen months later, Britain was at war, but the building continued to rise. Despite the submarines, Australian marble-dove-coloured Buchan from Victoria, patterned Caleula from New South Wales and white Angaston from South Australia-continued to arrive. The King returned to open the building in August 1918. Over the entrance, the Australian sculptor Bertram Mackennal’s heroic group of Phoebus Driving the Horses of the Sun echoes the Rising Sun emblem of the ANZAC troops.
Registered Charity Number 1156148 - Company Number 8680319